About 1.5 million people in America have epilepsy.
A seizure is a sudden, uncontrolled electrical disturbance in the brain that causes changes in behaviors, movements or feelings, and consciousness. If you have the tendency to have recurrent seizures, you have epilepsy.
The signs and symptoms can range from mild to severe, and may include:
- Loss of awareness
- Aura before seizure
- Rhythmic twitching
- Stiff contraction
- Loss of consciousness
- Staring off blankly
- Repetitive behavior (i.e. Lip-smacking)
- Postictal state (drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and headache)
Most seizures disorders can be controlled by medication but the management of seizures can still have a significant impact on your daily life as it may lead to circumstances that are dangerous to you or others like aspiration, falling, drowning, car accidents, pregnancy complications or emotional health issues.
At Nest & Care, we understand that sometimes, it’s too much to take on, which is why our team is here for you. In addition to basic home care services, our Seizure/Epilepsy program incorporates the following:
- If you are a student, together with your physician, we help prepare for a Seizure Action Plan for your school.
- Maintain safety during seizure activity
- Reminder/Assistance with taking antiseizure medications as prescribed by your physician
- Provide emotional support
- Identification/Assistance with management of triggers that may make a seizure start
- Keep a seizure diary and record auras
- And many more