An ostomy is an opening in the abdominal wall through which the large or small intestines are brought out. Waste material then passes out of the ostomy and is collected in a pouching system or pouch which comes attached to the neighboring skin. The patient does not have any control of the stool or waste passing from the ostomy, and a pouching system must, therefore, be worn all the time.
An ostomy, also known as a stoma, can either be temporary or permanent. The procedure is usually carried out on patients who have gastrointestinal injuries or complications. Because it is possible to carry out ostomy care at home, patients don’t have to stay in the hospital following surgery unless there is a reason to.
Our Ostomy Care Services are meant to help ostomy patients and their caregivers or family members to manage and familiarize themselves with the condition. With time, the patient can resume normal activities. However, our recommendations and instructions must be followed to the letter to avoid possible complications.
The services that come with this program include:
- Training the patient and caregiver/family members on how to manage the ostomy
- Ostomy/Incision Care
- Emptying the pouching system when necessary
- Replacing the pouching system or pouch
- Diet and exercise recommendations
- Medication administration
- Skin Care
- And more
The program can also be inclusive of various home care services based on the patient’s need such as:
- Meal Preparation
- Light Housekeeping
- Bathing and Toileting
- Hygiene and Grooming Assistance
- Medication reminders and pick-ups
- Errands and Grocery Shopping
- Transportation to and from appointments
- And More
To learn more about our Ostomy Care Services, give us a call at 240-243-9790 or send us a message at email@example.com.